4 p.m.

 4 p.m.


It’s time.

Clear out the sink; 

In a pot, scoop the kernels of milagrosa rice  

four cups, no more 

Water flowing into the kernels 

Waterfilm building 

My hands diving in 

kernels caressing 

swirling 

I tip the pot to pour the cloudy waterfilm

Then repeat the steps

 

Green canvas tennis shoes, yellow jogging pants 

Lola and uncle driving us to Kmart

first day of school in Amerika

sister with care bear lunchbox

brother with transformers

me with wonder woman

only to find out 6th graders no longer carried lunchboxes

only brown paperbags.

But Mrs. Luke still welcomed me, 

And later taught me how to squaredance.

 

Sitting at the table for dinner

“the rice is not cooked,” Lolo said

I forgot to press the cooker switch.

but I remembered to cook at 4pm. 

Lolo didn’t utter a word and I can’t see his eyes behind his brown tinted glasses 

“Sorry po, Lolo.”

Later that night, he passed through the living room with his bowl of coconut pineapple Thrifty ice cream while I watch Dynasty with Lola

No words, but just his usual forced fart to make me laugh. 

All is good.




Taken during our family's arrival in the US in 1985. Welcomed by my mom's family - with Lolo in the brown tinted glasses in the back. 

Comments

Popular Posts